Think about how many resolutions you have started over the past few years. Now, think about how many you've completed. I bet those numbers don't match up....but if they do...KUDOS to you! I know I've started my fair share, and have yet to complete one. This year I've come up with 5 easy steps to help you (and me) stick with it. 2016, watch out because here we come!
- Start Small: Even if your final goal is large, you can take baby steps to get there. For example, if you want to save money, add a few dollars each paycheck to a savings account. You won't miss them as much as a big lump sum, and you can keep adding more each month until you reach your goal
- Plan Ahead: Think of what you want to accomplish BEFORE New Years Day. This gives you time to really figure out a good goal for yourself. You can talk yourself out of the unrealistic ones, and really focus on one that matters and is obtainable.
- Reward Yourself: YAY! This means you are doing what you're supposed to do. You're seeing the changes you want to see, and you are sticking with your plan! The reward system works. It's tried and true.
- Don't Beat Yourself Up: This is super important. We are our own worst enemy, and our toughest critic. Don't get down on yourself if you don't see changes right away or if you mess up and take a few steps back instead of forward. We're human, and it's just part of our nature. Just stay focused and keep trying. Maybe even modify your goal. Nothing is set in stone.
- Ask for Support: Don't be afraid to ask for help. Everyone could use a little support every now and again. It might just be the little extra push you need to reach your goal! Feel free to use this blog post as a forum for support!
There you have it. The 5 main ideas behind sticking with a New Year's Resolution. No matter what your goal, make sure to make 2016 your best year yet!