Bad moods and bad days, they're just part of life. My bad moods seem to be especially frequent during the COLD, yucky, winter. Winter is just not my thing. I tend to lose my motivation, and become a couch potato.
Over the past year I've really come to love yoga. It's helped me with my stress, mood, and flexibility. I recommend it to EVERYONE. It's awesome because you don't need to go to a fancy studio (though it's nice), and you can do it at home or even a hotel room if you are traveling.
So with all that being said....let's get to it. Here are some yoga poses that can help boost your mood and ease your mind. Best if done in a sequence. Holding each pose for 30 seconds or up to a few minutes if you can. Whatever feels best to you.
- Tree Pose. This is perfect for beginners and can be adjusted to your balance/fitness level. It helps improve your posture and balance, as well as relax your mind and body. It helps open up the hip flexors, and also strengthens the muscles of the foot, ankle and lower leg of the standing foot.
- Triangle Pose. Strengthen your core while stretching your arms and legs. Increases mental and physical equilibrium, and reduces stress and anxiety. It's also said to help improve digestion.
- Standing Forward Fold. This is another great beginner pose. It stretches the backs of the legs and your back muscles. It also helps lengthen the spine to improve posture. This pose can be modified as well, and yoga blocks can be used if you aren't able to reach the ground. Do what feels comfortable to you!
- Downward Dog. Probably one of the most well known (and beneficial) yoga poses is Downward Dog. This pose circulates blood to the head and stretches the back, as well as decreases tension and headaches. It will aid in building upper body and wrist strength. It's also an instant energy booster!
- Bridge Pose. Reduces anxiety, fatigue, backache, headache, and insomnia. It helps to build core strength, while stretching out the chest, neck, and spine.
- Child's Pose. The prefect rest pose, that still benefits the body. This pose will calm your mind and body, while aiding in digestion and stretching your lower back.Stay in this pose for a few minutes.
- Savasana. Calms the mind, helps relieve stress and mild depression if added to a daily yoga sequence. It's the perfect pose to do at the end of any workout or yoga practice. The key is to RELAX. Clear your mind of your daily to-do lists, and enjoy the calming peace and quite.
So the next time a bad mood strikes, try out these relaxing yoga poses! Comment below and let us know your favorite ways to get rid of a bad mood!